Motor Vehicles

We provide all classes of registration including personal passenger, motorcycle, off highway, commercial, fleet, and prorate.

Minors: Anybody under the age of 18, must have a parent/guardian (with proper ID) accompany them to our office to sign a parental consent form when obtaining a vehicle registration.


Here is some information on what to bring:



New/Used Vehicles

  • Ownership documents: If the vehicle has been sold to more than one person, both parties must be present or a letter of authorization must be obtained from the individual who cannot be present.

  • NVIS: Only required for brand new vehicles, not required for used vehicles.

  • Proof of insurance: Must be in the same name as the ownership document.

  • Acceptable identification


If your vehicle was last registered in another province or country, please continue reading below for extra requirements.



Out of Province/Country Vehicles

Your vehicle will have to undergo an out-of-province inspection. If it is from out of Canada you will also need an out-of-country inspection. For information on importing a vehicle visit: .


There are some situations where your vehicle may be exempt from an out-of-province inspection. If your vehicle was purchased new within the last 90 days and it has less than 5000km, or if it has an existing government inspection from the last 90 days (36 days for Ontario), or if you will be getting a Commercial Vehicle Inspection on it, you may be exempt. You will have to bring the vehicle to our office before the exemption is approved. If you think you may be exempt, contact our office for more information.


First Step: Before having your out-of-province inspection you will need a request form from us to give to the mechanic. Please bring the following:



We can give you a list of mechanics that can perform the inspection, or you can visit  to locate one yourself. If your vehicle needs an out-of-country inspection as well, be sure to find a location for that as well. If you are required to do both of the inspections, you do not have to have them done at the same location.


Second Step: After the inspection, you must return to our office. Bring the following:


  • Ownership documents

  • Insurance

  • Out-of-Province Inspection: White form that you  will get from the mechanic. Please note it is ONLY VALID for 14 days.

  • Import Forms: If out of country. The import form must now have 2 stamps. One in the top right corner, and another in the bottom area. The second stamp indicates the out-of-country inspection has been done.

  • Acceptable identification



Vehicle Renewals

  • Renewal Form: PLEASE NOTE, The Alberta Government is NOT mailing out renewals as of April 1st 2016. Please bring in old registrations, plate numbers you wish to register, picture of registration or faxed copy. If you are doing a service for someone other than yourself and if it is more than 3 months expired you will need a letter of Authorization to do the service on someone's else behalf.

  • Proof of insurance: Valid proof of insurance is mandatory to compete a service. It may be easier to bring in your insurance policy as it will show every vehicle and expiry date. This is especially useful if you have many vehicles to renew.

  • Acceptable identification



Vehicle Transfers

You may transfer your plate from one vehicle to another, as long as the old vehicle registration is in the same names as the Bill of Sale/Lease for the new vehicle. Bring the following:


  • Ownership documents

  • Authorization: If the vehicle has been sold to more than one person both parties must be present or a letter of authorization must be obtained from the individual who cannot be present.

  • NVIS: Only required for brand new, never registered vehicles.

  •  Valid Insurance

  • Old Registration: For plate you are wishing to transfer, if available.

  • Acceptable identification


If your new vehicle was last registered in another province you will first need to have an out-of-province inspection. If your vehicle is from outside of Canada, you will also need a completed Import Form. Please see above for the extra requirements.



Replace Lost or Stolen Plates

If you have lost your plate, or it has been stolen, be sure to replace it as soon as possible. You will have to fill out a declaration indicating the plate's status. Please bring the following:


  • Registration: If available, if not you can verbally tell us the plate number.

  • Insurance: If you are wishing to renew your plate as well we will need Insurance. If you are not renewing, we do not need insurance.

  • Acceptable identification


Cancelling your Plate

If you have sold your vehicle or taken it off the road, and you do not intend on registering another vehicle using the same plate, you may cancel it and get a refund. Refunds are generated by the Government and sent out in a cheque. Refunds are prorated depending on how much time is left, minus a cancellation fee. There needs to be around 4 months left to get any significant refund. Please bring the following:


  • Plate to be Cancelled: If available. If you have lost your plate be sure to tell us. If you would like to cancel your plate but keep it for future use, you may do so. If you have lost your trailer plate or if it is in rough shape ask to have the plate exchanged for a fee of $22.45 as a new plate is $109.45.  Let us know what you would like.

  • Acceptable identification



Disabled Parking Placards

A parking placard and/or disabled licence plate allows those with the greatest needs to use specially designated parking facilities. The placards are issued to individuals who provide proof of eligibility under this program. 


To apply for a placard, an application form must be completed in full by your physician, physiotherapist or occupational therapist and submitted to a registry agent office.


To qualify, an individual must be unable to walk more than 50 meters.



Intransit Permit 

Intransit permits are issued when you need to move an unregistered vehicle (no plate). They are only valid within Canadian Borders, and either the starting point or ending point must be inside of Alberta. We can issue you the permit for 3-7 days, depending on the reason for moving, and the location of your start and end point. Salvage vehicles will only be permitted a 24 hour permit. Please bring the following:


  • Insurance: In transit permit can only be issued while a vehicle is insured.

  • Ownership documents: If either the start or end point is outside of Alberta we need an ownership document. If both the start and end points are in Alberta, we do not need your ownership.

  • Acceptable identification